Topping up your Cashplus prepaid Gold MasterCard® Account allows you to make payments, including paying regular bills automatically by Direct Debit.
Here are the answers to our most frequently asked questions on topping up, Direct Debits and payments & transfers.
Topping up your prepaid card
How do I top up my Cashplus prepaid card?
There are many ways to top up your Cashplus prepaid card:
- With your wages – your employer can pay your salary directly into your account
- From a bank – transfer money onto your Cashplus prepaid card by phone, internet banking or by Standing Order
- At Cashplus stores – there are currently over thousands of stores
- At the Post Office – at over thousands of UK Post Office branches
- At your nearest epay outlet – Top up with cash at thousands of epay outlets, although you’ll be charged £3 per top up
You need a Total Access account before you can top up using a bank, or by wages payment.
How much can I pay in per day?
The minimum amount is £10.00.
With a Total Access account, the maximum amount per day that you can pay in is £5,000 up to your £5,000 maximum balance limit.
If you have an Express Access account, the maximum you can pay in within 12 months is £2,000. Please ensure that you upgrade your prepaid MasterCard account as soon as possible.
|Top up method||Minimum per transaction||Maximum per day|
|Wages payments||£10||£5,000 (per day)|
|Bank transfer||£10||£5,000 (per day)|
|Standing order||£10||£5,000 (per day)|
|Cashplus store||£10||£5,000 (per day)|
|UK Post Office||£10||Up to £5000 (per transaction)1|
|epay outlet||£10||£5,000 (£150 per transaction)|
You need a Total Access account before you can pay in using a bank or by wages payment, or at a UK Post Office branch.
1Limits per transaction can vary per Post Office branch. Please check at your local Post Office branch for the maximum amount you can load per transaction. The maximum amount of coins accepted in a single transaction is £20.00.
How long will my top up take to appear in my account?
It depends on how you pay into your account:
|Top up method||Fee||Time until funds are available||Confirmation|
|Wages payments||FREE||3 business days (via BACS) to arrive.
The money’s available the same day we receive it
|Text confirmation when loaded|
|Bank transfer||FREE||Same day1||Text confirmation when loaded|
|Standing Order||FREE||Same day1||Text confirmation when loaded|
|Cashplus store||FREE||Typically 15 mins||Check the receipt for confirmation|
|UK Post Office||FREE||Immediately||Check the receipt for confirmation|
|epay outlet||£3.00||Typically 30 mins||Check the receipt for confirmation|
1For top up payments we receive before 3:30pm (Monday-Friday), the money will be loaded the same day. For top up payments we receive after 3:30pm, any payment made over the weekend or on a bank holiday, the money will be loaded the next business day.
Top ups at a UK Post Office branch, by bank transfer, Standing Order or wages payments are not available without Total Access.
How will I know when a top up is available on my account?
You’ll receive a text message when you top up by wages payments, Standing Order or by bank transfer, so keeping your mobile number updated is important. If you pay in cash at a UK Post Office branch, Cashplus store or at an epay retailer, check your receipt for the time your money will be available.
A top up hasn’t reached my Cashplus Account. What should I do?
Where can I find my Cashplus Sort Code and Cashplus Account Number?
You’ll find these details in the Members Area on the ‘Account Details’ page.
What’s a Direct Debit?
The Direct Debit service is the most popular way of paying bills in the UK, probably because it’s both an easy and safe way to pay.
A Direct Debit is an instruction that a customer gives to an organisation, giving it the go-ahead to collect variable amounts from the customer's account to pay for goods or services. The money is paid automatically, making it a convenient way to pay bills:
- Ideal for paying variable amounts on variable dates
- Can also pay the same amount on the same date
- Takes care of everything from utility bills to mortgage payments
Once Direct Debits are set up, your Cashplus Account needs to be kept topped up with enough money to cover payments – that way a payment should never be missed again.
Can paying bills by Direct Debit save money?
Some companies, from electricity suppliers to phone companies, offer discounts for paying by Direct Debit. Plus further money can be saved by avoiding late fees and Direct Debit reject fees from the companies for missed payments.
What’s so special about the Cashplus Direct Debit service?
We believe that our Direct Debit service is without doubt the very best Direct Debit service offered in the UK right now for two reasons:
- Insufficient funds alerts – If a Direct Debit looks like it’s going to bounce, we alert you before the payment’s due, giving you time to top up your Cashplus Account before the payment is taken. The Cashplus prepaid gold MasterCard Account is the only account to offer this service
- Debit Protect™ – as a Cashplus customer you could be automatically approved for an emergency one-off loan of up to £1,000, guaranteed to cover a Direct Debit payment if you’re short of money in the account. Check the Members Area to see if you’re already approved or look out for a text or email from us
What’s the difference between a Direct Debit and a Standing Order?
Both are great ways to pay – but there are subtle differences:
Are Direct Debits free?
Direct Debits are free unless otherwise communicated in your Terms and Conditions. Please check your Terms and Conditions for Direct Debit reject fees.
How do I set up Direct Debits to be paid from my Cashplus Account?
It’s simple. Contact the organisations you want to pay to set up the Direct Debit to come out of your Cashplus Account.
The following details are needed:
- Your unique 8 digit Cashplus Account Number – existing customers will find this in the Members Area, under ‘Account details’. If you’re about to apply for a Cashplus card, once the account’s set up we’ll send the account details out via an email, and in a letter along with your card
- The Cashplus Sort Code: (08-71-99)
- For ‘Bank name’, put: APS Financial Ltd
- For ‘Bank address’, put: PO Box 71064, London, SE1P 4EZ
Once a Direct Debit is set up, a confirmation email is sent to confirm that everything’s ready. Then you can relax – as long as there’s enough money in your Cashplus Account to cover the bill, it’ll automatically be paid.
Please note the following:
- To take advantage of our Direct Debit service, you must have a Total Access Account, so if you have an Express Access Account, you’ll need to upgrade first
- If a Direct Debit to the same company is declined several times in the same month we may cancel future Direct Debits to that company from you
To check whether you have a Total or Express Access Account, please visit the Members Area and select ‘Account details’.
What is the Direct Debit Guarantee?
For complete peace of mind, all customers are covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee scheme. So if an error is made in the payment of a Direct Debit by the organisation that you wanted to pay, or by Cashplus, a full and immediate refund will be made.
What’s more, you’re also protected by:
- A notice that a payment amount or date needs to change
- The right to cancel a Direct Debit at any time
Please note that if you’re given a refund that you’re not entitled to, it must be repaid.
Can I cancel a Direct Debit?
Yes, you just:
- Visit the Members Area, sign in and then select ‘Payments & Transfers’
- Choose ‘Direct Debits’ and select the one that needs to be stopped, and click on ‘cancel’
Please also contact the organisation involved and let them know that their Direct Debit is about to be cancelled.
How much notice do you need to cancel a Direct Debit?
At the very latest, a Direct Debit should be cancelled the day before the payment is due. See the question above for details.
Payments and Transfers
How do I know my payment’s set up?
We’ll confirm any payment you set up using your preferred way – either by email or a message in the Members Area.
How much does each payment cost?
Transactions via Cashplus Direct Debit and Online Banking services (including Standing Orders and one-off transfers) are free unless otherwise communicated in your Terms and Conditions.
How long before a payment is due is the money taken from my account?
The money is taken from your account on the nearest business day the payment is due.
Can I review my previous Payments and Transfers?
We’ve made it easy to keep track of your Payments and Transfers – just login to the ‘Payments and Transfers’ section of the Cashplus Members Area and take a look at your ‘Payment History’.
Can I stop a payment/cancel a Standing Order?
You can cancel payments or Standing Orders but you need to do so no later than 8pm on the business day before the money is due to leave your account. After this time the payment’s taken and we can’t stop or reclaim the payment for you.
Have a further question?
If you can’t find the answer to your query about topping up your account, making payments or Direct Debits here, please contact us.